In October, I finally finished the baby quilt I had started in July or August for my best buddy Andrea's new baby, Lucy.
When I was home visiting the folks, my mom loaned me her graph paper notepad, which is way handier than my usual strategy of printing out single pages of graph paper online, and I sketched out a bunny as the center of the quilt.
the color scheme builds off the lime green, one of Andrea's favorite colors, as well as the colors Andrea's mom put into the baby quilt that she made for Lucy.
the carrot in the center is paper pieced, well, more or less so. I didn't actually use paper and just kind of winged it, so it has a couple seams more than it probably needed if I knew how to properly sketch out a paper-pieced block.
the rest is pieced, except for his little arms, which I appliqued on. I dabbled with half-rectangle triangles for the first time. they are a little tricky to make, especially given that the background is a grid, so he's not perfectly symmetrical and the ears are a little choppier than in my sketch because the angles are not perfect. but it is close enough I think.
here's a picture with my toes in it so you can see the scale of it. I pieced the gingham background mostly square by square, which is not very efficient, but there is only so much you can do in terms of shortcuts and I was using too many subtle variations of the four main colors of the gingham to really make any of those work.
here's a picture showing the backing fabric, from the Monsterz collection at Cloud 9. I think it is one of the cutest fabrics ever.